Today I thought I would do something a little different. I celebrated my 25th birthday this year in June, and I began thinking about life and adulting (you know the usual) and I have seen these types of posts around for years now.
it was actually a post like this one that started off my blog when I finished university as I turned 21. So much has changed since then and I feel I have grown up and learnt so much within my life.
Therefore, I wanted to do (and probably will never do one again after this) an updated
25 things I have learnt in 25 years!
1. Getting a house is not as easy as you think when you are a kid. Plus it is expensive.
2. Similarly, it is difficult getting a job and even more so in psychology.
3. I’m ok with who am I and my body constantly changing. I will still have bad days but I’m ok with that.
4. I am in awe at what my body can do. It has carried me through two half-marathons, multiple 5km and 10km races, and I am appreciative of what it does for me and how strong it is.
5. If I could go back in time I would definitely push to be a snowboarder, because nothing has ever made me feel the way I do when I am on that board in the snow.
6. It is never too late to go back to a hobby or pick up a new hobby. I used to compete as a dancer and then I gave it up to be a stroppy teenager, however as a 23 year old I decided life is too short and to join classes again. Here I am as a 25 year old still dancing.
7. I have boundaries and I am ok at saying NO sometimes if I don’t want to cross them.
8. If people don’t want to be in your life/make the effort then let them go. I only want people in my life that want to be there.
9. You will always make mistakes in your life but as long as you learn from them don’t beat yourself up about it.
10. Talk to people, talk to anyone because you might learn so much. Learn about people’s backgrounds, their cultures and make an effort to include people.
11. Don’t let your past define your future. It is ok to think about the past, but don’t let it control how you are making your future. Learn from it and move on.
12. Take everything at one day at a time.
13. Always take the “
fuck it” motto when thinking about whether you want to do something. What have you got to lose? Just go for it, and if it doesn’t work then you don’t have to do it again but at least you tried and you know.
14. Never give up and always work hard.
15. Be kind. There are too many dickheads and not enough kindness. Be the change and spread kindness, to strangers, family and friends anyone and everyone. We could all use more of this in our lives.
16. I have realised that I am not a one job kind of person but I like a variety of roles and things and that is cool and ok.
17. Always make time for your hobbies because that is what you enjoy the most.
18. If a job is not helping your mental health or making you happy then leave if you can. It is not worth it, not even for the money.
19. Manifestation is great for bringing positive energy into my life.
20. Only ever dress for you and what makes you happy and don’t care what other people think.
21. Communication is key for any relationship throughout your life.
22. You can learn so much through travelling so always take up opportunities to travel.
23. Material things are not important. The less I own the more happy I become and the more space I have.
24. Mental health is a priority and don’t let anyone tell you any different.
25. Always find enjoyment out of the little things in life.
There you have it my
25 things I have learnt in 25 years!
Let me know in the comments what have you learnt in your life?
Thanks for reading,
Gemma Jayne x